Thursday, March 14, 2013

Starting Solids

The last 2 weeks we started Bowden on solids and it's going quite well! What made this even more exciting is I got to try out one of the gifts from my baby shower "the baby bullet," it's amazing! I knew when I was pregnant that I wanted to make my own baby food, for the health and cost benefits, and some friends of ours did the same, so I registered for this and it's been so easy to use! Of course if you have a food processor or a regular bullet that would work fine, and even a blender but I love this set because it comes with storage containers to make ahead and then freeze as well as containers that you store in the fridge with a lil dial on it, that you can adjust the date.
Benefits of making your own baby food:
-You save money, it can cost anywhere from $1-$1.30 for one jar of baby food vs. $1-$2 for produce that will give you about 7 servings(you can actually go organic and save money!)
-It doesn't contain preservatives, fillers, sweeteners, additives
-It's fresh and healthier
- You know what's going in the food your giving your baby

Our Dr. said to start Bowden with veggies first and that we could  introduce a new veggie every 3-4 days, just to make sure he didn't have an allergic reaction. 

Some Signs of an allergic reaction are:
Gas, Diarrhea, rash, clear runny nose, vomiting, itching, stomach pain, coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, lip/face swelling, eye swelling, eczema, and fatigue.

 Low risk allergy foods are:
applesauce, apricots, asapargus, beets, carrots, peaches, pears, plums, rice, and oats. 
They say the safest 1st foods to try are:
sweet potatoes, avocado, peas, brown rice cereal, zucchini, squash, apples, pears, and bananas.


Last week, we started with carrots (which was probably not the best 1st veggie to try, can be messy and stain clothes/bibs) All I did was steam a bag of organic carrots til they were soft, add about 1/4 cup of water and put it in the bullet and "bam" baby food! It's recommended to eat within 3 days in the fridge or if frozen then up to 30 days.
This week we tried zucchini and Bowden loves it!
I can't believe we are already to eating foods :( seriously can this kid grow up any faster!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my lil space in the blog world I would love to hear from you or atleast meet you, don't be shy